Whilst many travellers choose Christmas and New Year to take their ski or snowboard holiday, January is a month that is often over-looked. Understandably those travelling with school-age children are more restricted; however for those with flexible holiday allowances, January can be the perfect time to get away. We take a look at the benefits of taking your ski or snowboard holiday this month.
1. The Price – Travel in January is considerably cheaper than in December and February as demand for seats is lower. Many of the airlines that fly to Geneva from the UK including EasyJet and Swiss Air have some extremely reasonable fares on offer. There are also some great deals to be had on accommodation. Riders Refuge have some fantastic offers on stays in our catered Morzine chalets in January including space in Chalet Coeur du Bois from 11th – 18th January for only £419 per person. The following week, there is still some availability in Chalet Les Pistes and Chalet Carcilon from 18th/19th January for just £499 and £449 respectively. This price includes your accommodation, breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner on 6 nights as well as return airport transfers from Geneva airport. Lastly, the lift offices of Morzine and Avoriaz offer various discounts on passes in January.
2. Hassle-free travel – Both the UK airports and Geneva Airport will be much less congested after the school holidays. In addition, the roads between the airport and Morzine will have much less traffic. If you aren’t a fan of travelling with the crowds, January is definitely the month to go!
3. The excellent conditions – Talk to most locals and they will tell you that the best chances of good snow are in January. Temperatures may be slightly lower; however this means that the snow is likely to be in better condition. Furthermore the sun can still show its face in January creating that elusive combination of fantastic snow and cloudless skies.
4. The empty pistes – After the rush of Christmas and the New Year has died down, the pistes can seem almost deserted in January. The children will be back at school and many people take their annual leave over the Christmas period. This allows skiers and snowboarders to get in more runs or cover more ground, maximising usage of their lift-passes. Those with full area lift passes can embark upon the Portes du Soleil circuit and enjoy the extensive terrain without having to worry about timings.
5. Group Holiday heaven – January is one of the best times for a group ski holiday without having to contend with crowds and queuing. Riders Refuge has a host of chalets that are ideal for groups both large and small. Chalet Carclion is a large catered chalet accommodating up to 21 guests with an expansive living area and private outdoor hot tub. Also popular with groups is Chalet Les Pistes, located in the very heart of Morzine and equipped with a sauna and a living area complete with a media centre and wii games console.
6. Extras and entertainment – If you are looking to take advantage of local services, availability in January will be much better than in other months. Whether it’s booking some ski or snowboard lessons, securing a table in one of Morzine’s restaurants or making an appointment for a relaxing massage; you are likely to be able to do this without problems in January, even last-minute.
7. The best way to beat the January blues – According to research, the most depressing day of the year falls on the third Monday in January. ‘Blue Monday’ is the 20th January this year, so what better time to be on a ski or snowboard holiday?
So what are you waiting for? Contact the Riders Refuge team today to chat to us about your requirements and start your 2014 with a holiday to remember!